Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"I don't know?"

Ever since Taylor was a baby he has been a "thinker". He didn't learn to talk for a long time. I remember he used to call Robert, Joanna, and James the same name which didn't sound like any of their names. I remember one day he all of a sudden said all three names as clear as can be. I think he just didn't want to say them before. He was such a good baby sitting in his high chair for hours "thinking" that I used to tell Lynn that it was too good to be true how good he was.

Taylor continues to be a deep thinker but now that he can talk he asks questions about what he is thinking. I can't tell you how many times I have answered his questions with an honest, "I don't know?" I try to change my intonation a little everytime I answer him so it doesn't sound like a broken record. A few times I have attempted to say ,"we should research and find the answer huh?" He knows that means I am actually interested in finding out the answer to that question and wish he would research it and tell me.

One question I remember Taylor asking as a toddler was ,"how do birds go to the bathroom?" Now his questions are more like, "do you think this is what Hitler looks like now?" as he is holding a scary Halloween skeleton? The other day I finally got the question that I have been dreading since Taylor began asking questions. "Mom, if you have been to school and graduated from college, how come you don't know the questions that I ask when I'm in 4th grade?" I of course laughed and replied with, "I DON'T KNOW!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Taylor was meant to be our kid--Zach keeps asking me "when is McKay going to ask me questions" He has been living for that day--all I can say to Zach is "I don't know?

A Musing Mother said...

I.Q. drops 15 points with every child. Scientifically proven by Dr. Nancy. It's a case study.

Rick and T said...

when i try to help my kids with their math you would think I never graduated from jr high. its embarrassing! the high schools teach trig now!
holy cow!

Carly Sharp said...

What a smart kid. He reminds me a lot about Tyler because Tyler always had stumbling questions as well. Good thing we now have the internet to help you answer the majority of those questions.