Wednesday, October 14, 2009

dog training

As if training 6 kids isn't enough Lynn and I are now going to dog training classes! We decided if we take the time to train the dog correctly the dividends will be very worth it. As we have been learning things and watching the dog respond so quickly to treats and praise , I can't help but correlate everything to training kids. I am realizing more and more how true that statement is with kids as well. I wish I were better at immediate treats and praise with my wonderful kids.

I've read a lot of parenting books lately and I have to recommend Glenn Latham's "power of positive parenting" as one of my favorite. It really is a powerful method to be positive and praise. I wish it were as easy as it sounds. I could relate to one of the moms in the book when she said there was a time when the only praise she could think of for her teenage son was that he was breathing really well! I love that!

I am learning a lot about life, marriage, and parenting and hopefully I will get some of it down before my Kyle turns into a teenager. I had to laugh at Lynn's prayer this morning when he blessed that we could learn to challenge Kyle's stubborness into the right direction.

Right now I am taking one day at a time and trying not to say everything I think like, "do I have to pay for this cap and gown right now or can we wait until it is closer to graduation to see if he is really going to graduate?"

3 comments:

dannyhaley said...

Cute blog background, it's so festive!

I am going to get that book, I really need a good parenting book.

Anonymous said...

please oh please don't tell me its like dogs...I don't do dogs!! glad to see you update your blog!!! love to you and family
zach and liz

Amy Jacobs said...

Okay...the "cap and gown" question cracked me up! I just got done complaining a couple of days ago about how expensive it is to graduate these seniors and get them ready to apply to college all at the same time. I had to complain about paying for cap and gown in October too!! DANG!!!