Saturday, October 18, 2008

Fall Break

A few weeks ago Lynn and I approached the topic of fall break and what we were going to do. We went the rounds deciding between Lake Powell, Goblin Valley, Salt Lake, Uintah, Camping in the desert, home sweet home, Midway. I don't know how many of you are trying to please kids from age 17 down to 4 but if you are you know something of the stress. I know kids have to grow up but it is so hard when they aren't happy doing something like swimming anymore. Well, after much debate about the time, effort, and money it costs to do anything we ended up spending Thur. hanging out at home and had fun with Kathy and Jeff's family. We then ended up pawning Robert off at Jeff and Kathy's (thank you) and taking the kids to Uintah yesterday to a pool that Lynn's company built. It was a really fun place and the kids were thrilled despite the long drive to get there. I keep wondering if I will ever enjoy swimming once I am not stressed about watching anywhere from 1-3 kids who can't swim. Lynn was working on the pool and so I just spend my time thinking "where's Kyle? where's Dallin, etc? Fortunately we were all safe and sound.
Today we decided to start off the day working on projects around the house. I begged Lynn to help James and Taylor with their wood boats (in place of pinewood derby's) for the raingutter regatta this week. It made me want to watch the hilarious movie "Down and Derby" about the fathers who go a "little" out of control with their kids derby cars. Then we switched to helping James with his haunted house for his school project that has to have a light switch. While Lynn was helping him I was helping Joanna with her school project and trying to get halloween costumes ready for our Halloween Party at Kent and Janies tonight. I really am grateful my kids aren't too picky about costumes as ours are pretty pathetic. I somehow missed the creative gene and we will never have homemade cute costumes. We get a lot of use out of dracula capes and black clothes and have come up with some good ways to interchange old costumes into new ones. Finally everyone had a costume (except for Lynn and I wasn't going to push that one.) Neither Lynn or I are big Halloween fans of dressing up and so we are thankful for others who do it and make life fun.
We then decided to go hunting for treasures with Lynn's newest "toy". I'm not sure of the official name but it is like a car "gps" but you can hold it in your hand. You put in a destination and it points the way for you to go. We put in a bunch of Midway locations where people have hidden "treasures" around. You find the treasure and take something out and leave something else in its place and then write your name on the log. We found one at our churchyard called "the write way" that had a bunch of writing utensils and notepads. It had been placed only a few days ago. We found one at the Homestead that has been there since 2005. It was really fun and the kids loved searching for "treasures".
Dallin wasn't feeling good and when we got home I took his temperature and found he had a high fever and much to his disappointment we decided to have me stay home with him and the rest of the family went to the Halloween party. He is sleeping right now which is why I grabbed a moment at the computer.
So, it was a laid back fall break but fun to be together and I appreciated Lynn spending it with us.

No comments: